Context of the project
At the time of Covid, Belgian citizens are called to discover the South (31 DGD countries) with and from Centre Placet. The wait has been long and the isolation has affected everyone especially members of Centre Placet (Placetians) and international students who are far from their families. Besides, there are the Belgian citizens; also cut off from the interactions that used to make up their days, either through family gatherings, meetings with friends, visits to museums, libraries, trips to discover other horizons, etc. A completely human and socio-cultural upheaval.
The new community aims to break the isolation suffered by the two groups, by promoting the discovery of the South (for Belgian citizens) without paying a single plane ticket. Moreover, for our residents, in addition to new acquaintances, there will be an extension of their contact book in the North. Centre Placet wants them to be reassured that their work will be of high quality in terms of spelling and even in terms of content for some (in the case of a duo with the same scientific profiles, the same faculty/discipline).
Motto : LET US LIVE THE INTERNATIONAL, INTERCULTURAL AND INTERGENERATIONAL OTHERWISE !
Objectives of the action/Community duo for N&S
Behind the classic review of dissertations/theses, a kind of mix between young and senior researchers, for more intercultural and intergenerational relations reinforcing the world citizenship in LLN’s Town.
Apart from the current review service of dissertations/theses/articles, there is a new vision of creating a mix between young and senior researchers, for more intercultural and intergenerational relations reinforcing the world citizenship in LLN’s Town.
OBJ1: To break the isolation caused by a year of lockdown and restrictions on meetings/travel.
Centre Placet ensures that each pair really benefits from meeting the other, in strict compliance with an agenda and exchange grid established in common agreement with the parties
OBJ2: To create more intercultural and intergenerational links around the international hostel of UCLouvain, with the aim of making it an international house and a centre for interculturality.
In addition to these tandem meetings, Centre Placet will make sure that the members take full advantage of other moments/actions and animations of the hostel, through at least two gatherings per year and around a collective agenda. The exchange of experiences will be emphasised (self-evaluation).
OBJ3: To share knowledge and services via guided scientific mutual aid, via the reading of works, in connection with the interest and the field of competence of the citizen Tandems.
OBJ4: To extend this project to other actions of Centre Placet and exporting it to other HE of LLN
This "Duo for Knowledge" experience offers us a lot of experience, such as :
• Convivial moments while sharing meals with Zech-Absil family, which allowed me to discover Belgian food ;
• I have been very touched by the attention paid to me by the Zech-Absil family when they contacted the Director of Centre Placet to make sure I was OK; when, absorbed by the work in the laboratory and unreachable on the phone, I had forgotten the appointment of dinning with them... ;
• It is a real pleasure of meeting with Yacouba, who shows us some of the customs and experiences of his country, Burkina-Faso !
• The possibility to explore the Burkinabé meaning of French expressions such as "Tu me donnes la route ?" or a culinary speciality : "le poulet à bicyclette"- and some Belgian expressions that make Yacouba bilingual French-Belgian: when it rains very hard, "il drache" • Listening to Yacouba talking about his plans when he returns back to his country helps us discover some of his projects and/or dreams ;
• The discovery that, despite very different age and very different lives, we often feel close to him, and we are so grateful for all that he allows us to discover with him ;
• When my husband had health problems, Yacouba offered to help us by lowering a box that was too high for us
• We also experience different moments when we go with Yacouba discovering places in our country that we love, such as the Atomium, the medieval ruins of Villers-la-Ville, la Baraque in Louvain-la-Neuve...
Thank you and your team for giving us this opportunity to meet and be friends !
Annick & Yves Zech-Absil